Friday, January 30, 2015

Repost: Losing Grasp on My Dominion

Every other week my blog will feature a reposted work. I had been a contributor on two different sites that have since closed or no longer include blogs. I will be reposting pieces that had originally been featured on one of these two sites.  

This was originally posted May 30, 2011

For the last day or so my lovely wife has been gently reminding me of the things I need to be doing.  One of those things is this blog. 

I didn’t really have any amazing inspiration so I had been stalling, but that’s not the whole story.  The other half of the problem is that I’ve recently become obsessed with a particular game.

Dominion is a card based strategy game by Rio Grande Games.  It was bad enough that we played it with some friends of ours, then bought it and an expansion, then bought three more expansions, then played it with more friends….but then I found that I could play it online.  No set up time. No counting cards.  No double checking rules in the rule book.  No getting anything else done.

Oops. 



Maybe it’s cheating to blog about what I’m doing instead of blogging (ha!), but I do have an honest reflection or two here. 

What is it that gets in the way of what you know you need to do?
What is it that you do because it’s easy when you know you need to do something that’s hard?
What is it that clouds your mind and distracts you from the important things?

Why is the path of growth and character and success so much more laborious than the frivolous path?
Why is it so easy to pass time without anything to show for it? (three hours playing a video game and the dishes are still not done…weird).

Where is the balance between leisure and productivity?

I guess these answers are different for everyone, and the balance is not set in place…

As for me, typing this has broken the spell (at least for a little while).
As for you, I’d advise that you reflect on these questions before you Google “Dominion: Rio GrandeGames






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...